Thread: Lap Cat 2
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2014, 09:30 AM

Default Lap Cat 2

Picked the name as the parlor sized guitar I built just sits naturally on your lap begging to be played. My niece's husband made a comment to my sister he would like one. I made a couple of sets of wood during the first build to try different ideas in order to learn more of this craft.

The tops are cedar cut from fence boards, selected from hundreds of boards to fine ones that were quarter sawn with no knots. Pine back and sides, did a red oak fretboard on the first one, have another oak one that I already shaped with the fret slots cut. The top is a two piece with a couple pieces added to the lower bout to make up the 12 1/2" needed, the back is a three piece. Also in the picture is some purple heart that I might use for the rosette and a piece of mahogany that I found in a firewood pile that almost went up in smoke. Going to use it for the head block.

The sides were bent last summer and sprung back a little and I touched them up on a hot pipe last night. Working on getting the top and back flat and doing the tooling to do the rosette right now. Might bend the linings, we will see how it goes. I still have to decide on the neck wood, not going to build my own truss rod as I did with the last one. I am going to see how fast I can do this guitar, nothing fancy, just hopefully something that sounds pleasant and is playable.