View Single Post
Old 08-03-2011, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Mike…

Well I'm not sure about Kevin's claim (and yes, Kevin Ryan is some kind of guitar building guru actually…), but the neck joint on my Olson was done right and after 18 yrs is rock solid according to the luthier who sets up my guitars.

I'm not a 'dove-tail-only' guy and have two guitars with dovetails-done-right and two with fabulous-bolt-ons, and if you didn't know which was which by builders you couldn't tell the difference without an xray.

I'd prefer to say James Olsons work has been pretty immaculate since the 80s, and he sets standards in guitar building which many aspire to, and a few do match (Kevin Ryan being one of those who has reached that level).

Thanks Larry, I'm well aware of who Kevin Ryan is.. I've owned two of his guitars over the years as well. Nice guitars, just not my style of instrument. My first Olson was built in 1993... great guitar, but I grew away from cedar. I have seen some of his guitars over the years and I think he's actually gotten better since then. I, too, am not a "dove tail only guy" either and I'm not slighting Jim's work in the least. It's all good Larry.
Slackers 1:51-52
FSM