View Single Post
Old 03-13-2015, 10:47 PM

Being a long-time fan of jazz music, a small part of me is sad to know that jazz is the least popular genre. Having said that, there are many steep challenges in terms of popularity for this kind of music.

Some of the things that "jazz lovers" appreciate most about jazz are things that the many music listener could care less about or not find at all appealing. Improvisation, harmonization, complex rhythm, odd meter, counterpoint, and the like are rarely as easy to listen to as a simple melody, 1-4-5 symmetry, lyrics, or simply a beat you can dance to.

From the article, it appears that jazz is in good company. Classical is suffering a similar popularity…or lack there of.

In my opinion, while pop, rock, “alternative”, country, etc. will rely on popularity to survive, I believe jazz and classical will continue to thrive at the very least in most high school and colleges across the planet.

Almost anyone learning an instrument even at the most casual level starts with classical or jazz music. For those learning how to play a horn, percussion or stringed instrument (violin, etc) most start by learning the fundamentals of jazz or classical. Personally, I think this is because there are no more complete art forms in music than jazz or classical.

So, while jazz is perhaps taking its lumps in CD and MP3 sales, I believe it will continue to live a healthy existence in schools across the globe. Just like important scholarly texts that were kept safe in monasteries during the dark ages, only to be rediscovered in the Renaissance, so too will jazz and classical be well cared for in schools and other institutions of higher learning until people are again ready to hear “real” music!