View Single Post
Old 07-28-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CabinetMan View Post
Ok, so I'm getting ready to start my first acoustic build. The plans that I have to go by are from Georgia Luthier Supply. The are the Dreadnaught SS plans. The plans are showing a flat top and they say that they are easier to build. It also says the sometimes the builder puts a radius an them also, but has no mention of what radius is used. Which do you all recommend that I go with for my first build? If radius what radius should I use?
Again thanks in advance for the responses.
There will be ways that the parts of a guitar's geometry interact that you will not have considered until you have built one, or more than one. Modifying one aspect will often have unintended consequences. If you have a good plan, follow it.

I glanced at the Georgia plan online. While I cannot see it anywhere close to full size, it looks thorough. But the neck appears to be set with the fretboard parallel to the top and the neck heel square to the sides, which will not get you adequate bridge height if I'm seeing it right. Arching or doming the top will change the necessary neck angle.

If you are not using a dish, getting the contour of the sides at the back so that they allow for the taper, the curvature of the back, and the effect of the guitar's waist on the rate of taper at the back can be tricky. It does look to me like this has been taken into account in those plans.