View Single Post
Old 03-30-2017, 03:43 PM

Todays work basically went to schedule which is a good thing.
Thicknessed the top, back and sides in the extra large super duper sanding machine in the workshop next door. The back and sides came out exactly to the planned dimensions, 2.2mm for the back and 2.0mm for the sides. Unfortunately the top went a bit thinner then the target 1.9, its about 1.8 but even then its a thin 1.8.
Yes its a nylon string, and theres nothing wrong with tops this thin, but going that thin has not left me much (any) leeway or any room for error whatsoever. I also think I should perhaps have installed my rosette first if it was going to end up so thin. Not much depth there to actually rout into to install it.

On the plus side the Tasmanian Blackwood bent pretty nicely, no real stresses involved there. They are also much flame-ier than I initially thought! They are going to look amazing under finish. The back now looks even plainer in comparison. I still like the idea of the sides, which you see more, being more interesting than the back.

After shot of the sides after being cut to profile
Untitled by David Emm, on Flickr

Thicknessing the top on the extra large fitness sander

Bending the sides on the bending iron

initial clamping of the sides into the mould before I went and found some better clamps

Top side being held to shape

The back, in the terribly orange coloured light of my apartment

The spruce top looking very orange in my apartment lighting, in reality its very white