View Single Post
Old 01-17-2021, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eucatastrophe View Post
I just set up the LR Baggs Voiceprint DI and have to say I’m very impressed. For the record the Voiceprint is of my McIlroy AP 25 with a Lyric pick up/mic.

First impressions.
1. Super easy to use. The Baggs Acoustic Live app makes creating a Voiceprint/IR very easy, with clear steps to guide you. Once created you can blend the VP with the pickup, adjust the EQ, apply the anti feedback etc.

2. Absolutely improved the tone. I think I managed to get the sound folks have been wishing they could get out of the Lyric. Running the VP at about 60% creates a stronger/deeper bass response. Just the right amount of thump. But with clarity. For me the VP blend completely got rid of the boxy tone of the Lyric.

3. EQ. 5 bands of very tweakable tone. Change the frequency, level and Q-factor. Plus high pass and low pass. Take your time and you’ll get a great tone.

4. Anti-FB. The VPDI creates an Anti feedback profile that maps out the trouble resonant frequencies for your particular guitar. I played with this a bit too today and liked what I got at about 20%. For me it cleaned up the low mids.

5. Presets. I only made one haha but I can see setting up more. One for strumming, one for finger style, one for boost. Then some for my other guitar.

6. Other pickups and guitars. I can’t wait to try this with my M80 passive. Because the VP blends with your pickup I bet most folks are going to love the sound they get with USTs and magnetic sound hole pickups. I also can’t wait to see how my Taylor 712 12 fret is going to sound.

7. Price. Yah $400 is a lot. I got mine on as a demo for $300 so I couldn’t resist. I have friends telling me to go to the Helix Stomp or Helix LT for using IRs and options galore. I haven’t ruled that out yet either.

8. FX loop. I also used my Baggs Align Reverb and Session. The Reverb as expected sounded great. As for the Session, i couldn’t decide if it sounded better with or without it. Before running any guitar through my Venue, the session added a noticeable warmth and clarity that I really liked. But with the VPDI it almost seemed redundant.

That’s it for now
That's good news about the Lyric. I actually asked about this on the Baggs instagram page and was told that if the guitar naturally has more bass, it will potentially increase the bass response of the Lyric. Good to hear that this is the case. I had the Lyric and ultimately found the bass lacking but it was honestly probably my favourite pickup to use. It's odd because I didn't find the same with the Anthem.