View Single Post
Old 11-28-2022, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
I'm not sure the OPs issue is "tab" per se, but more dependence on having a sheet of paper in front of them. Could be literally just tablature, or standard notation, or a chord chart or lyrics. Usually when I think of "tab" these days, I think of the common combination - 2 staves, with both standard notation and tablature (and probably chord symbols, too).

It would be interesting to see someone try to measure whether reading standard notation vs just tablature has any effect on memorization. Each present somewhat different information. As you say, for those who can read it, standard notation conveys the sound and timing of the music better than tablature. Maybe that lends itself to memorization better? Or maybe, since with tablature only, you really have to already know how the tune goes (essentially partially "memorized") in order to make sense of the tablature, it creates a shorter path to memorization? Since the common approach with professionally-produced guitar music (other than classical) these days is to include both, maybe the combination, presenting info in two ways at once helps? Or maybe it hurts?
I totally agree , and a lot of people that can't read music through tabs have the possibility to play music .