View Single Post
Old 05-14-2022, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

I sing songs and play instrumental breaks. I only tend to use open cowboy chords when I play, so my instrumental breaks consists of whatever notes from the melody I can reach while holding down the chord shape for that particular part of the song. It is basically Carter style playing with a flatplick - and not rocket science to get it sounding good. Throw in some strums, double stops, hammer-ons and pull offs and it all sounds way more complex than it actually is to play. And don't be afraid to leave some room and be a little sparse at times.

Here is the classic example. Maybelle is playing the melody from the chord shapes with a thumb pick and filling out the sound with downstrokes of a finger - but you can do both elements with a flatpick.

Basically, I get away with using the same technique for all the songs I sing. You'd be surprised that with a little practice you'll find that you can pick out a melody or harmony pattern from those open chord shapes on pretty much any song, particularly if you make use of hammer-ons, pull-offs, double stops, strum fills and bass walks. You'll be making up your own lead breaks in no time. Start by strumming lightly through the chords then find the melody you are singing over each chord - the notes will be there somewhere!

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.