View Single Post
Old 12-12-2022, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post

Quite simply - generally speaking - downtuning has nothing to do with your vocal range. As I said, there are exceptions in a small number of cases: where a song only needs lowering a small amount (half-step or whole step), and you want to keep the same chord shapes. Then downtuning is a no-brainer. (For other songs which don't need downtuning), you can use a capo.) Likewise, if you find your range dropping a little as you age, downtuning lets you keep your comfortable chords for the songs you've been singing for years.

Otherwise, finding the best key for your voice - however low it is - is about transposing.

Songs come in all kinds of registers and ranges. Whatever key you want to sing *any* song in, you can do it in EADGBE by transposing the chords and/or using a capo. Downtuning is a red herring.
No this isn't true at all, I do several songs in A dorian mode, it's got so that they are more comfortable now in G# dorian and playing those songs using G shapes makes no sense with a major 3rd on the 2nd string open, If I just wanted to play chords I could use E minor shapes capoed at 4th fret but the options for playing arrangements of melody are far more interesting in Am shapes without a capo, likewise I do a number of songs in C major again where the melody goes up to A it's a bit of a struggle, if I played in A capoed at fret 2 I wouldn't be able to use 3rd string open as these songs have no b7 so the only workable alternative is to play in G capoed at fret 4 that's ok sometimes but to play fingerstyle melody as an instrumental break gets quite awkward beyond the 14th fret and playing in the lower register in G brings melody notes onto the 4th string which doesn't sound so good.
It's really not your place to lay down the law to other people the way you do, who do you think you are?

Last edited by Andyrondack; 12-12-2022 at 07:16 PM.