View Single Post
Old 06-15-2022, 04:08 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
There are larger models of harmonium too:
Here is mine:

This is a Chicago Cottage Style 96 pump organ from around 1890 when it was purchased by my great-grandfather for his church. When the church outgrew their sanctuary and the organ they gave it back to the family. It was eventually passed to my grandparents where it became the first instrument I ever played (with). As a kid, whenever I visited them I climbed up onto the seat, opened the fall board, and pressed the keys. Once I got some sound happening I was completely mesmerized. The growly sound of the low reeds and the ability to push a few keys and get something serious going were fascinating to me. I spent hours experimenting with it, monkeying with chords and intervals, and driving my parents CRAZY. By contrast, my grandmother loved and encouraged my experiments.

When my grandparents died the organ passed to my parents. This last January when we closed up shop on the family home, I brought it home. It still plays, but I've got to stake out some time and do a little work on the primary bellows.

By the way, I wouldn't suggest traipsing one of these around to gigs.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)