Thread: Godin Quantum I
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterX View Post
I know you meant well, but you're not helping a fellow player make an *informed* decision because you're not informed. It's like you opining that a Nissan GTR is junk because you sat in one at a car show once. "I've heard a few" became "I've played a few" and really, how much experience can you have really had with this pickup system? My guess is almost none, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. The fact that you claim you were never able to get decent sound out of a Seagull may say more about your abilities at the board than it does about Godin. I've never heard or read anything negative about the electronics in a Godin instrument. That's kind of Godin's thing - the acoustic/electric/synth-access technology. I'm sure there are hundreds more, but check out a Youtube vid of a Seagull with QI/II - Do they sound awful to you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTEY1BeYDV4 (QI)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXqOdiJySBM (QII at the end, Doug Young's review)

So, I am a fan of Godin products because they're a great value and perfect for gigging guitars that do what they're supposed to and sound amazing, (unless you're the soundguy . I'll also say I wish I had Quantum I or II pickups in my Taylors because both are miles better than any flavor of Taylor's ES, IMO.

In my opinion, the original poster should get the guitar with QI. It will cost him far more later to put in an aftermarket system that may or may not be as good.
Well Rooster, first I stand by my statement. I'm not going to bother with trying to convince you of my abilities. I'll just say, I know what I'm doing. To answer your question about the links you posted, Not so good! Particularly the pickup. The mic helps the pickup to not sound so horrible, at least it's kind of smooth for strumming but no warmth and not what I would want as a plugged in tone. Now it would be "useable" for some scenarios but that's about the best thing I can say about it. And that clip at the end of Doug Young's review, (by the way I love what Doug Young does, he's a good man and a fair voice in all this confusion), is terrible. As far as my experience, I've heard from out in the audience, I've played as a performer, and I've mixed the Quantum. Not changing what I said before, just elaborating. I consider it an entry level system like so many factory installed systems. But that is my opinion and if anyone asks, that's what I'll tell them. Oh yeah, I own one seagull, and I'm pretty familiar with most of their line. FYI

Last edited by simondylan; 05-15-2014 at 05:55 PM. Reason: mistaken identity!