Thread: Godin Quantum I
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simondylan View Post
To RoosterX. Everyone obviously has there own opinion but please understand that I didn't do any google search. I've played both versions of the Quantum, and run sound for other players who had the unfortunate luck of being convinced by either Godin or a salesman that the Quantum was something special, and so purchased it. It's harsh and in you face just like other UST's, and the mic is a very generic sounding mic. Even through a very high end PA I was never able to get a decent sound. 25 years of experience, specifically with acoustic guitars and pickups. I've had experience with nearly everything. It sounds like you are pretty much all Godin for what ever reason. I'm just trying to be helpful to a fellow player. Friends don't let friends, well you know!
I know you meant well, but you're not helping a fellow player make an *informed* decision because you're not informed. It's like you opining that a Nissan GTR is junk because you sat in one at a car show once. "I've heard a few" became "I've played a few" and really, how much experience can you have really had with this pickup system? My guess is almost none, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. The fact that you claim you were never able to get decent sound out of a Seagull may say more about your abilities at the board than it does about Godin. I've never heard or read anything negative about the electronics in a Godin instrument. That's kind of Godin's thing - the acoustic/electric/synth-access technology. I'm sure there are hundreds more, but check out a Youtube vid of a Seagull with QI/II - Do they sound awful to you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTEY1BeYDV4 (QI)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXqOdiJySBM (QII at the end, Doug Young's review)

So, I am a fan of Godin products because they're a great value and perfect for gigging guitars that do what they're supposed to and sound amazing, (unless you're the soundguy . I'll also say I wish I had Quantum I or II pickups in my Taylors because both are miles better than any flavor of Taylor's ES, IMO.

In my opinion, the original poster should get the guitar with QI. It will cost him far more later to put in an aftermarket system that may or may not be as good.

Last edited by RoosterX; 05-13-2014 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Add link