Thread: Regret
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2017, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post

The stereo-typical image of the stern, disapproving classical music instructor is almost as old as music itself. I find it largely counter-productive. I could also tell you stories about some "big name" classical players and their teaching styles as well as conduct with their students which would shatter your romanticized notions, but this thread is not the place for such dialog.
I really don't have any stereotype image or romantic notions. My description truly describes the professor I had. He was a fairly arrogant, self-impressed person. Not an enjoyable learning atmosphere for me. I really have no problem veering off in the conversation either in person or on the internet. That's makes conversations interesting in my view.
Quote:
Wait? You found a teacher who you liked, learned from, and enjoyed lessons with? Then you won! While lessons should have an element of challenge, of being pushed to grow etc., they should also be satisfying and enjoyable. This sounds like you had a great experience with this instructor.
I really did win with my jazz teacher. A really nice man and good teacher. And thankfully my third long term teacher, the young guy, was a great experience as well. After all my years of playing he still taught me new stuff which is why I periodically like to take lessons with different people. If they are good teachers, each teaches something, emphasizes something a little different. That keeps things interesting.

Quote:
I just don't think you should dwell on some vast missed opportunity as though it is no longer available to you. Pathways for improvement -- even improvement through self-study...
I'm not really dwelling on it. I don't lose sleep over it or anything. It's simply a regret. Indeed I have started to do some self study through the magic of books But I can see that will be a slower process than if I had a good teacher of whom I could ask questions when I run into roadblocks. I have noticed that some of the fingering of classical pieces are often not how I'd do it if I was simply reading and playing the notation. I'd ask a good teacher, why this fingering rather than this other one....or maybe this one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
A few things of typical things about studying classical guitar:
it is more often well organized
it stresses completing pieces to a certain level of competence
it stresses clean playing
it stresses tone production

Most other approaches towards fingerstyle guitar tend to be more haphazardly organized.
I think this sums it up fairly well. I've worked on clean playing and tone production all my playing life, but I think classical players take it to a higher level yet. And as I mentioned earlier, it seems classical players often use a different fingering than I, or perhaps most non-classical players might use for a particular song. For example: I'm currently working on Recuerdos de la Alhambra as published in a book by a fairly well known classical guitarist and teacher. The fingering is not what I would intuitively do by just reading the music and playing what I saw. There seems to be a different approach that ultimately I see makes sense, and I can see the flow, but is not intuitively how I'd play it as a non classical player. But as I'M working through it it sure makes sense. I think that's where a good teacher could help speed things along.