View Single Post
Old 08-24-2016, 10:45 AM

Default Do you need an expensive acoustic amp or PA?

This is intended to promote discussion of the pros/cons of the following suggestion.

I posted in a few other threads about my recent experience with the TC Helicon play acoustic product. This product (or similar Boss VE-8) is a single pedal that provides a few important features that acoustic amplifiers and compact PA systems don't. I'm leaving the harmony and "auto tune" features out of this discussion, because they are not universally appreciated.

These features are incredibly useful for most any singer/songwriter/acoustic guitarist. I will call them singer/songwriter boxes, for now. (SS boxes)

For instance, only one manufacturer includes a built in acoustic resonance in their amplifier products (Line 6). The rest do not have this option. But, it is available in the SS boxes. As of today, I am totally sold on this "one button" technology. This is especially useful for folks with UST or SBT systems. Multisource mic systems benefit to a lesser extent. For example, I dialed my body res setting back to 50% because I am mixing 50/50 mic and pickup.

Secondly, these singer/songwriter boxes provide microphone vocal processing and effects that enhance a singer's voice. While you can find reverb and sometimes chorus, it doesn't compare to the magic in the SS boxes. I have a strong tenor voice, but I sound MUCH better with the "mic mechanic" features enabled. I've never had so many compliments on my voice. Note above that I am not referring to the "auto tune" pitch correction features.

So, to that end, should folks who play out for audiences consider getting one of these SS boxes, dial it in to their tastes and simply pair with a high quality powered speaker appropriate for the venue? There are so many compact PA and powered speaker products on the market. Single speaker, line array, plenty of power, full range, and some DSP included, you can cover any venue.

Reasons for using a SS box and a no frills full range speaker:
1. Less invested in sound reinforcement gear
2. More invested in tone shaping "musical" gear
3. Fully scalable, portable, and independently upgradable
4. You can use anyone's (venue's) speakers and still sound good
5. Less reliance on third party sound person
6. Practice anywhere with your fully mixed sound
7. Inexpensive factory pickup systems sound good enough with SS box.
8. Avoid the cost of carrying your own DI box.

Reasons this might not work:

1. Other musicians sharing the system would be disadvantaged
2. A user's disinterest in pedals or technology in general
3. Another thing to carry plus an extra 3 cables
4. A user is otherwise satisfied with their system
5. You can't just walk up, plug in and play in an open mic scenario.
6. There are endless other ways to accomplish the same thing
7. I just bought an expensive (insert Bose, Fishman, AER, Schertler, Carvin, Line 6, etc.) system last week!

In my case, I have a great 2 channel Line 6 product that sounds beautiful for the acoustic guitar and very good for the vocals. But, my vocals sound better through the SS box and the guitar is just as good or better. As of now, I am dumping the SS box into the line input on the speaker and using a flat EQ and reference PA mode. It sounds great. Now, I don't need the mixer and features built into the speaker. I just need the speaker. I could even downsize or upsize the speakers and sound just as good. It's temping to leave the SS box at home and say I'll only use the speaker, guitar and mic. But, my vocals wouldn't sound as good. And, after the guitar, mic, two leads, mic stand, speaker, power cable, speaker pole, the SS box, power brick and one extra XLR cable seems insignificant.

Thoughts?

Last edited by martingitdave; 08-24-2016 at 10:56 AM.