View Single Post
Old 08-17-2016, 05:05 AM

Default damaged sides :(

Thanks again dekutree and Louie.
Dekutree, my top was thicknessed to 2.8mm, Louie, it looks much more extreme then it actually is, it was hard to get a picture of it to even show the angle, when i'm in close and at an angle it looks extreme, its probably closer to 2 degrees than 1.

I'll likely add some soundhole braces at some point.

HOWEVER

this is now waaaaaaaaay down my priority list as this morning I went to check how well my top got glued on and i found a nice surprise after taking the clamps off, the sides in the waist area have buckled and split. One side has a slight wavyness to it, the other side has a giant lump, corresponding dent next to it and the top of the lump has a crack in it. I have no clue how this happened, I thought I was careful with my clamping pressure, but I can only it was far too much.
I don't know if it can be repaired/fixed/corrected. Its so bad (at least one side) that i have a feeling i may have to remove the top which I guess can be saved, and get some more wood and remake the sides.
If someone knows if its repairable, and can tell me how i can do that, and if its possible to get it looking "normal" or at least close to normal, that would be appreciated. Otherwise it looks like the project might be over as I can't afford to buy more sides and then pay for an extra 20ish hours in the workshop that it took me to get the sides ready the first time round.

Here are some pictures of the damage. This is actually all the worst side as the pictures of the "less bad" side came out too blurry

Untitled by David Emm, on Flickr