View Single Post
Old 08-05-2016, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmsone View Post
Ok cool, thats good to know, i'll see where its at when I start working on it again next week.

Well I was going to go for the dovetail option until I read that Kostal thread, I do like that Kostal/Somogyi method, because it means in my case for someone who hasn't done a dovetail before, my neck is much more likely to remain in a straight line!

Actually, some of the earlier posters were not convinced on the straightness of grain in my neck, 1 piece of walnut and the maple centre strip are just about right, but the other piece isn't on the same grain line. I'm kinda thinking its going to be ok, but those who have more knowledge then me seemed to say otherwise. This time round I have access to a table router which will make routing these channels a simpler task and if thats the case I may put the graphite rods in "to be safe". I'll grab another picture of the neck grain on monday.

Thanks again, i'll read that article right now.
More so with a dovetail, it takes a "knack" to leave enough to trim while still ensuring a tight fit and ensuring the neck is pointed straight. Otherwise there will be gaps that need to be shimmed. On a mortise joint, the tenon on the neck is made straight relatively easily, then the mortise made straight via a jig, which just leaves trimming the shoulders to the body.