Thread: Sexauer/'16
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2016, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post

So my big news this year is that after just ten years of effort, I have sold one of my violins. The build was documented to some extent here in AGF and may be recalled as my attempt to make a "fiddle" as opposed to my several others, which are "violins".
Bruce, I have done an AGF search to try to find the thread documenting your fiddle build, but with no success ... could you maybe disinter it and supply a link?

I am intrigued by your fiddle/violin dichotomy ... I have always considered that there is no difference ... a fiddle is a violin is a fiddle. Traditional/ bluegrass/old-timey fiddlers may well prefer the instrument set-up differently than classical or orchestral players would want, maybe a flatter bridge, maybe a lower action, conceivably a flatter radius on the fingerboard, but these are all set-up issues, not signifying any radical innate difference in the instrument itself.

If you could take a moment to explain what you perceive as the differences between a fiddle and a violin I would be most grateful ....