View Single Post
Old 02-04-2012, 04:06 PM

Finally got around to setting up the Cordoba C5 ... been too busy wanting to just play it lol. Got some WAI saddle and nut from Bob over at Custom Saddles. I'm pretty proud of how this one turned out because I was a bit more methodical and patient. In particular, I was sketched out about shaving slots into the nut. Bob had insisted it best to be done with the strings on the guitar.

The way I did it was just using the old nut as a guide. Once I had ensured they were the same width and contour, I placed them back to back and marked off where the nut slots met just on that side. Then I placed them front to front and did the same. What I was hoping for here was to capture any angle on the slots. Of course this assumes that the old nut was slotted properly - lol maybe that's why I've never come across this approach on the internet. Anyway, it seems to have worked fine. I used some gauged Stew Mac files and they were very helpful.

I might have gotten a little medieval on the action though. I'm a beginner so the lower the action, the better I feel. Well, this could possibly be the lowest action classical out there LOL! I know under certain playing styles, this will buzz like crazy but that's ok cos not under my playing style - at least so far. And wow it feels really good for me.

I just used some feeler gauges to leave just enough above the frets to shave down the nut slots. This time I didn't lazy out and also shaved down the top of the nut to expose the bass strings.

So all and all, took the relief down a but (approx .007 to .004). Took about 3/32 off the saddle. Problem I'm seeing though is my low E are about the same height off the frets as my high E. Bah. I guess there's always something. Other than that though I'm pretty stoked by the results ...

I ended up taking a lot off the saddle. (Dig the nylon management lol ...)