View Single Post
Old 03-17-2011, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

The story continues......

Out of the 30+ sets of brazilian I was able to choose from, I narrowed it down to my top 4. 2 of them were nicely quartersawn and one had some figure and one was highly figured.

Jason told me to pick up a piece one at a time. When I pick up a piece, feel it, flex it and tell me what you think. Then he held the piece up to my ear and tapped it and each piece had a different response. Much different than I thought and much different from each other!

the straightest of the bunch was the one I wanted to like the most!

This piece on paper had all the qualities of some of the best Brazilian you can find. perfectly quartersawn, nice tight grain, and simply beautiful. It felt nice from what I could tell and when Jason tapped it, it sounded nice from what I could tell.......until he tapped the others

I wanted to like this the most, but the others resonated more when tapped. not by a little, but by a substantial noticeable difference. Unfortunately as much as I wanted this one, this new guitar will be built all about tone and what wood the builder thinks would match the tone I'm looking for. Of course at the end of the day it will be my choice, but unfortunately, one of the top voted woods of my threads, is not the one I chose!

The next piece of wood was slightly figured. I thought this was a nice in between of getting a fully figured piece and some nicely sawn wood. Some may say its not nice, but visually, it was a nice in between for me.

I picked it up and it did sound better than the one that I opted out of. It rang better, but depending on where we tapped it sounded a bit inconsistent. Unfortunately, this is another piece I did not choose. so two down and two to choose from. Well actually when I was there, I was picking from four, but to make this story interesting, I'm only telling half the story!

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D