View Single Post
Old 05-03-2024, 02:16 PM

Default I have an Advanced Jumbo- looking at J-35/45

Hey all,

I have an early 2000’s Gibson Advanced Jumbo. It was my dad’s that was left under the bed for a while and had to have a few cracks repaired in the top. It sounds FANTASTIC. I love it. I also have a Larrivee LV-03 (mahogany back and sides) that I’ve played a ton of solo acoustic gigs with.

I did have a Martin OM-28 for a short period of time but didn’t really bond with it. I also had a J-185 for a long time but always felt like I was fighting it when I played.

I’ve recently been playing a bunch of Gibsons and Martins at Music Villa and have found myself gravitating towards another sloped shoulder Gibson. I obviously already have the AJ, but I find myself most comfortable with that body shape. Music Villa has a couple of Custom Shop J-45s that sound awfully nice and a few exclusive J-35s that I’m also really liking. I’ve been noticing J-35s are much louder than the J-45, and that kind of draws my attention. I’m wondering if that’s something I should be taking into account or not. While the J-45s kind of have that warm enveloping sound that’s pleasing.

I think what I’m trying to ask is for some advice/insight on how these two would complement my AJ. I know spec differences, but I’m having a hard time figuring out which guitar would be best at which application. I’m hoping to get back into solo acoustic gigs where I sing, playing a mix of 90s acoustic rock, classic acoustic rock, blues, and songwriter stuff like John Hiatt and Mark Knopfler. I’m mostly strumming but do some finger picking. No plans on Bluegrass style playing; however, I wouldn’t mind the guitar to be good at lead style playing if I were to end up in an acoustic duo.

Thanks for your help!