View Single Post
Old 04-28-2024, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

Default Reconsidering Neil Diamond.

Last night BBC Channel 2 made over the whole evening to documentaries, interviews and concerts by Neil Diamond
He is 83 now and retired from performing in January 2018, after being diagnosed with Parkinson's disease.

I never thought that much of his flashy presentation and so never really listened to his vast collection of songs.

As my wife was watching with "that smile" on her face, I decided to let the evening roll on.

I love well crafted songs.
I had always regarded his material as a bit "pop" but I am reviewing my opinion.

His songs have a pattern (still trying to analyse that) and always included a memorable "hook" but they are well crafted.

I hadn't realised, for instance that he'd made a modest living as a songwriter working in the Brill building with some of the most notable pop songwriters, and didn't really think much of becoming a performer.

With his modest/flashy presentation, rock steady vocals and "tall dark an' handsome" looks he certainly met the approval of the female record buyers and concert goers world wide.

Yeah, I gotta give him credit for his songwriting and performing skills!

Last edited by Silly Moustache; 04-28-2024 at 11:59 AM.