Thread: K&K: WWTT ?!?
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2024, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by negriljerry View Post
As in, What Were They Thinking? For the K&K Sound Pure XLR preamp, no 9V adapter jack? Only power source is phantom or battery?

I hadn't used my Martin with a K&K on a gig in years due to the undefined and mushy sound. "Natural"? Sure, just not useful in a stage setting. Bought a used K&K XLR preamp, makes all the difference in the world, much more focused. Love the phase switch.

One caveat: the K&K pre runs 9V, either via battery or phantom. If you're running this always-on pre on battery you have to monitor the battery status fairly regularly or risk low voltage distortion. They could have made changing the battery harder but not really - there's two very tiny screws that hold the top on, they just beg to get lost when changing. I'm just gonna tape them on the chassis somewhere in case I sell it someday, and use tape to hold the top on.

And phantom? Unavailable unless of course your mixer/amp has it, and you go directly in bypassing any and all FX or volume pedals. Bad design. The pre is specific to the pickup and logic dictates it's first in the signal chain, not last. I'm not gonna give up my pedals (boost, multi-fx, looper etc) just to get phantom power.

I had a similar issue with the preamp/mixer that goes with the Trinity system. But I just used a 9v battery to 9v standard pedal size plug and filed a notch in the casing to allow the cable to pass. That way I could just run the mixer on my pedalboard and never worry about a battery again.
Kopp K-35 Walnut / Tunnel 14