View Single Post
Old 03-29-2024, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird View Post
this is already an interesting build. I am anxious to see the details of the door construction on the end of the guitar.
Thanks for chiming in John. After some updates starting last week, I have not been a very good custodian to my own build thread, but alas I have some to start sharing. Stay tuned...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
Funny, John. I thought of you as soon as I saw that access door!
Sure would make fine tuning and pickup installs a LOT easier.

This axe is very interesting indeed

Paul
It is super interesting, and I am enjoying the process. Thanks Paul!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman48 View Post
You'll love this guitar (as I'm sure you know). My very first handmade guitar was a Klein M43. I first learned about Steve Klein from an article in Frets magazine. That was back a few decades ago ... in '96. My M43 had the access door in the bottom as well.
Thanks for your comment Soundman48. Feel free to post a picture of your guitar if you're inclined to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFL Steve View Post
I've been a fan of Steve Klein's designs for years. A few guitar shows ago I met Steve Kaufman and got to play a few of these guitars. Magnificent instruments. Looking forward to more on this thread.
Thanks for commenting and adding your name to the list of Steve's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Osthoff View Post
Thanks for posting this build thread. I have been a fan of Klein/Kaufman for many many years. These guy think outside of the box so to speak. It is really cool to follow on the process.
Nice to have you along John. They certainly think outside of the box all the while working within the box!

So as I mentioned, while it was quiet for a couple of weeks, Steve has sent me more than a few updates starting last week. I've been too busy to try to digest and translate what I am seeing and being told, until now.

Finishing up the "treble boundary" in the go-bar.

The next few pictures are the creation of the "wishbone" that will be used to support the neck and anchored to the body. Steve first begins with the raw material: the wood core is already glued and consists of 5 layers of bent veneers. They will then be laminated with carbon fiber on both top and bottom surfaces. The raw carbon, called "tow", comes in a roll. It is made up of individual tiny carbon strands held together with fine cross threads... super thin I imagine, for Steve tells me that six layers of this stuff gets bonded to the wood using epoxy.

Here it is all sandwiched together in a vacuum clamp where atmospheric pressures forces everything to conform to an internal mold.

Once fully cured, the sandwich is cut into individual servings...

Lastly, the wishbone is refined and installed against the neck block and the inner rims. This design is stable and solid as a rock. I've seen similar ideas using this same concept from the likes of Tim McKnight, John Kinnaird and Ben Wilborn. No offence to those brilliant luthiers, the Klein design is certainly one of the most thought out and well-executed neck support systems I've ever seen. Again, rock solid in order to rock! You can also see the side port support here as well.

I have some more to update you all, but time is money, and I don't have much of either right now! I'll update again tomorrow morning. Thanks for checking in.