View Single Post
Old 03-28-2024, 06:02 PM

I bought and test drove (then traded or sold) 9 Martin's ... all 00's, 000's, including a CEO-7, plus an OM between 2020 and November of 2023. Then, I strummed a newly-built Bourgeois 00 Heirloom/Vintage Series at Northern Lights Music, in NH. It has an AT (Torrefied) Adi soundboard and IRW back and sides, all aged-tone down to the bracing and finish. It's stunning in every way. As another member suggested, it sounds like a piano. My journey through the Martin line to find the perfect instrument for me, was over.

Then, about three weeks ago, I bumped into a ten-year-old, mint condition, 0-Custom (Bearclaw Italian top, Madagascar RW back and sides, Varnish Finish, which is no longer available as an option) at a local music shop; it was on consignment. I couldn't resist it, so I bought it. It is just that much more intimate in every way, and I love it just that much more than the 00.

I'm obviously a Bourgeois convert, from Martin, whose guitars I still have a great affinity for.

In looking for Hog back and sides, you're probably looking at a Country Boy, or a Custom-built instrument, although you might also be able to find a non-torrefied Sitka top/Mahogany in the Professional Series, for less money.

From what I've come to understand, the large sound hole is typically found on an OM, but can occasionally be found on a 000 (short scale). Probably worth mentioning that Dana's typical short scale is 25" (versus 24.9), so the difference between an OM and a 000 is not as great as it might be with other makers.

I don't know if you've seen the Bourgeois website, where there's a tab for "Recently Shipped Guitars" . It can be sorted by Dealer, Body Size, Style, Top Wood, and several other options.

$8K budget should be doable, especially if you want to Custom-build to your specs (wait 8 months, or so, for the build). You might also find something you like at one of the bigger Bourgeois dealers.

Feel free to PM me, and I'll share an email address to Dana's assistant, who is typically very responsive to inquiries by email. Maybe he can share insight on where to find what you are looking for.

Last edited by FretMuse; 03-28-2024 at 06:30 PM.