View Single Post
Old 03-20-2024, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
They are made to go obsolete. Apple is the worst when it comes to that. They're even doing everything they can to get around EU's new consumer friendly right to repair legislation.

I recommend not spending a lot in expectation that it will last longer as the parts are not really where the problem lies. There's no certain brand that's going to guarantee longevity either. It's just a global problem with consumerism and people
being programmed to think they need to regularly buy new products. Because people think that's ok, that's exactly the situation we find ourselves in.
I'm really lost on all that, or in a polite way will say nonsense because I've been tasked with knowing about the sustainability, lifecycle and footprint matters. Until the recent change from only 1 first tier Android maker Apple has had a longer life cycle and nothing else is even close to the repairability and recycling matters. Unlike other platforms Apple has a really good self-repair program.

In our enterprise we do all we can to recycle everything, and destroying or protecting data is part of that to0. 2-4x a year all retired electronics are recycled and destroyed as ethically as possible. The firms that haul it give us reports of how much was resold/reused, recycled and was landfill. The Apple products shine there.

In addition every Apple Store always takes all of their products for recycling and the following the news on their robots and processes are quite interesting.

I just looked and see 31 current and past iPhones are compatible with the current OS, and my last push for security updates to a few hundreds mobile and computers has older Apple OS products still getting security updates where there are none for Android and Windows products that old.

We have dozens of retail/inventory scanning devices that are Android and Apple. We have shorter lifecycle on the non-Apple and also more expenses to keep them secure. Getting 2 dozen units running Android 10 updated is a rather expensive software purchase for just the OS.

Then we have the title here - reliable. There are usually around 200 used actively 24x7x365 mobile and tablets we have and also in MDM. The Apple have fewer reboots and crashes, are more easily managed, and far easier to keep repaired.

We've wrapped up all we get monitored or send to our outside auditors this time every year. I expect this year will show same or better for the iPhones, iPads and MacBooks lasting longer and costing less overall.

I'm hoping the fall announcement for longer Pixel product life will get other Android products better.