View Single Post
Old 03-09-2024, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
From the installation tips I linked:

"Fine point #3.

I glue in a short section of dowel where an existing end pin hole is. It doesn't need to be long, 1/4" long is sufficient. I then apply blue low tack painter's masking tape over the entire end pin area and use the glued in dowel to center a 1/2" Forstner bit. Once the bit establishes a hole it no longer needs a center, so the 1/2" hole itself serves as a guide for the bit. The tape is just added insurance against clumsiness until the hole is established.

Yes, a 31/64" bit is fine, but many folks will be buying a single bit for drilling the jack hole and this one is sometimes difficult to locate. A 1/2" Forstner bit is usually available at all the big box stores and is much kinder when the bit exits the inside of the tail block. Common twist drills like the aforementioned 31/64" can be brutal to the exit area of the hole. It that really what you want to subject your baby to? Use the 1/2" Forstner and go SLOW when you get to the other side of the tail block.

The 1/2" hole is slightly oversize, but since many will drill the hole not perfectly 90 degrees to the tail block it allows the jack to center in the hole even if it's a few degrees off kilter. This makes for a more secure installation of the jack with less concern about the nut coming loose from contacting the surfaces slightly askew, which can happen if you're shooting for a really tight hole."

Fine to have someone do it, but it's not particularly difficult if you use a reasonable amount of care.

More and more guitars (like Larrivee, Taylor, and others) are shipping with the removable end pin that exposes a hole correctly sized for a Switchcraft strap jack type output jack.
For sme reason I used a 5/8 inch bit I think so the whole end unit slid right through with no way to stop it. So I fashioned a "washer" from a large triangle guitar pick and somehow got it to fit. I then taped over the end with some blue painter's tape. Surprisingly it held ... but was ugly and of course prone to fall out when I needed it most.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin