View Single Post
Old 02-27-2024, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
I think I can add to this conversation, and clear up something that has been repeated more than once here.

Putting a National cone into another brand will not make it sound like a National.

I have done this three times with cheaper resonators, and own 4 more Nationals. In all three instances, the reso sounded LOUDER with the National cone, but not like a National, just a louder version of what is was, with maybe a little National flavor, but 90%? No way! One thing I also have to say is none of them were direct retrofits. I had to seriously modify some biscuits/saddles to get them to work. On two of the three I used new National biscuits.

On one of them, I actually preferred the tone of the stock cone over the National as this reso sounded great the day I got it. It was a Johnson knockoff of a National Style 0, and I think the stock cone was a Continental. That reso had a killer sound with stock cone. I've played many of these same resonators and none of them sounded similar. Mine was a freak of nature!

The original stock cone got crushed though and I had a National cone and biscuit lying around so I swapped the new parts in. This is the Johnson knockoff listen how the notes seems to swell https://www.soundclick.com/music/son...songID=6697257
Good to know. Thanks for chiming in!