Thread: pickup truck
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2024, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
"the only thing" ? not really
Actually the battery swap in the US is conceived more as a possible concept purposed to address long distance driving---

The current EV reality is already becoming more and more "palatable" to the "average person" for commute to work situations
Not only is the charging infrastructure expanding for at home and at the workplace BUT

What is already alternatively quite "palatable" for the "average" american person is :

The average american household owns two or more vehicles 59 % (so one can be for work and one for long distance )
The average american commute to work is 41 miles round trip
The average american household owns their own home -66%
The average american home can facilitate a home charger either 110- 120 volt,,, or split from existing 220 circuit
The average EV single charge range is now 200 -250 miles

Right now the biggest deterrent to EV for the "average" person is still cost but that is also steadily coming down

But none of this is really what the OP is about and is more suited to something like "The current state of EV's " thread
How about this twist? At work the EV that replaced a Silverado HD has done absolutely great. It had one minor warranty issue which means it beat the GM. Beyond it doing 200-300 mile distances a lot, it saves labor and maintenance costs.

The Fords are van format but give me faith same stuff in a pickup shape would be just as good.

We see vendors with truck and commercial class EVs all doing well and happy with the decisions. My biggest smile there is I've spotted electric semis deliver now.

A big chuckle to me is seeing about everyone with a smart phone now and remembering earlier rejections to that and other technology. I can't imaging EVs having the total saturation but from what we see and experience I know it will.

The city of Madison, WI and a few surrounding communities are worth watching. The whole area is way ahead of the game with utilities, infrastructure and their fleets are watched. There are electric fire trucks and trash trucks plus dozens of electric buses. When budgets and news come up they have good data on how the stuff actually works and the total costs.

The area is also worth watching for related hot topics. There's more resiliency in the grid. One power plant in the region has a troubled nuclear reactor and the solar and wind next door and near are already generating same capacity.

For sure there are hiccups, none of it perfect, but none of it is the mess or what detractors often say.

As far as light trucks, our biggest business problem is same if they are ICE. The delivery and gig economy. Companies that are regional or smaller competing with ones not yet profitable and hammering on prices, plus little to no obligation to compensate staff as traditional business must.