Thread: pickup truck
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2024, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitfiddlemann View Post
That's an interesting comment, but contradictory to what I've heard.
I was talking to my mechanic yesterday. He was commenting on how many more newer vehicles and trucks are coming in every day with parts related problems. Parts that used to last much longer in older trucks like mine. Especially the Fords, GMCs and Chevies.
Not only that, but these vehicles are more complex and expensive to fix these days. Customers need to fork over much more to get them back running.
Both my trucks are pretty old, 185K + 200+K, but he still advised me to hang on to them as long as I can. Needed parts for them are also cheaper, and less labor to fix.
So, I'm in a stuck pattern. EV's aren't a viable solution for me yet. I'm thinking a used Tundra would be a good one to find in the interim to replace mine. Everyone I've talked to that owns one raves about them.
My whole life has shown gaps between what people perceive and what well-supported data shows. In our enterprise this is annual audit time. That is not showing any red flags with vehicle purchases we've had to make recently and in past few years.

One of those old Chevy pickups I mentioned - the bought new and cared for - needed a short block for its long life. That used to be common but not now. The fleet vehicles we often keep beyond a lease or warranty usually get 250,000 or more miles of decent service.

The auto industry has had two major recent wrinkles with price jumps already reversing, and a lot of labor related manufacturing challenges. Otherwise we're still in the trend where the fleet age keeps growing and where the vehicles have a much longer life expectancy. Not all brands have had some of the same challenges.

It is hard for some that we have new competitors and change but those things are good overall. Innovation comes out of it too.

Maybe we are in a similar pattern? One vehicle is still under new car warranty, some are aging, and "some" occurred because we kept or got older cars to aid the kids who are young and not fully done with school, internships 'n such. Mostly last year I was happy to do some fixes, but a bunch of new tires, and wait.