View Single Post
Old 01-25-2024, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
Oddly, you have probably seen paired SM57s all your life, and didn't realize it.
Almost every President since Nixon uses paired 57s with the big wind screens at the POTUS podium.

you can google and find thousands of pics of various presses with either one or two 57s. (didn't post to avoid politics). Apparently this is just "system redundancy", NOT that folks want to hear speeches in stereo.
I am wondering if those pairs were not just redundancy but maybe to accomplish this.

Now these were condensers positioned vertically but I think the theory is the same

"The Wall of Sound was designed to act as its own monitor system, and it was therefore assembled behind the band so the members could hear exactly what their audience was hearing. Because of this, a special microphone system had to be designed to prevent feedback. The Dead used matched pairs of condenser microphones spaced 60 mm apart and run out-of-phase. The vocalist sang into the top microphone, and the lower mic picked up whatever other sound was present in the stage environment. The signals were summed, the sound that was common to both mics (the sound from the Wall) was cancelled, and only the vocals were amplified."

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4