View Single Post
Old 08-29-2023, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L50EF15 View Post
Why not put an arched top and back onto a J45 Studio or its cousin the G45?
You might want to scout for a 1933 or 1934 L-50. According to the usually highly-reliable GuitarHQ site, of the 1932-34 archtop / roundhole / small-D shaped L50s the one closest to your target is Version 3 from 1934, with the 1933 V2 a more-distant second.

Here's a '34 V3. It's freshly listed and looks pretty nice (although you might want extra pics to rule out a peghead repair).

Frankly, given the specificity and relative rarity of your target, you might just think about jumping on it and enjoying the guitar that arrives.

It's 15" not 16", so not a perfect match, but mighty close. These even come with a flat back like a J50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
You might find this of interest:

https://reverb.com/item/52058452-gib...ntage-sunburst

I'd recommend making an offer on one (or both... ) of the instruments above, and getting that wisdom tooth taken care of - given past precedent I figure you're looking at no less that $7500 (and likely more) out the door, given that it's a Custom Shop buiild ...
That instrument has had a lot of discussion on The Belgian Site.

I had a medium-long thing for late-20s / early 30s Gibson L4 / L75 guitars. That makes me someone who is most likely to suffer from GAS for that precise guitar, which is the first 1930s-style L4-ish guitar Gibson built in many decades. Even so, those long cracks from the ends to the soundhole make me think that precise guitar got crushed during shipping.

I'm not going to buy it. I'm going to stare at it regretfully and not buy it. All good luck to the next owner.