View Single Post
Old 08-24-2023, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack the Pearl View Post
I've started reading "The Federalist Papers" by John Jay and Alexander Hamilton. Seems topical in the run-up to a Presidential election wherein some fundamental things may be called in to question if not changed. These essays were written for the popular press as a way to "sell" the adoption of the newly written federal Constitution, under which we live to this day.
It's a classic of American Political Science, of course. But stylistically it fits in the folder for Bad Writing. At least by modern standards. Long sentences. Strike that; overly long sentences. Tortured syntax and authors afraid to use periods.
Given all that, Hamilton's ideas about the advantages of this new form of government are clearly brilliant even though they're not expressed in a modern style. I guess I'm willing to forgive that. I'm about a third of the way through.
Takes patience, exercised in calm comfortable reading environment. Got that. Lucky me.
The Declaration of Independence is like that too. Semi-colons where today we'd use periods. The point gets across though.

Last edited by frankmcr; 08-24-2023 at 12:12 AM.