View Single Post
Old 04-12-2023, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wood&wire View Post
Thank you for your detailed reply!

Re: syncing- I already seem to have most of the equipment to do this. I even have I believe a Zoom H2 recorder, one of the older models. That said, if I'm at home, I might as well use one of my firewire audio interfaces and shoot video with my cell phone camera. I use Lightworks video editing software and I'm sure there is a youtube tutorial somewhere that will show me how to sync video with audio.

Re: cell phone affecting audio- Very true, I hadn't thought about the gain or compression. My RODE mic came with software that IIRC allows the user to control gain and possibly even compression. I will have to look into it again. I've only used the mic once for a video conference running through my laptop and its onboard camera. However, my cell phone camera is much higher quality so I will definitely research this further.

I'm not necessarily cheap, but my past GAS has caused me to purchase more equipment than I really use so I now find it hard to justify investing in more gear when I seem to already own all the tools I need.

Still, this conversation has given me much food for thought and is helping me organize my ideas for sharing my music. Thanks for being generous with your wisdom and experience!
It sounds like you don't need to purchase anything else to do simple videos. "A journey of a thousand miles begins with..." so I would suggest you simply dive in. That's really the only way to learn to use what you already have.

Your H2 will provide excellent quality audio if you set the input gain appropriately and position it where it needs to be. An additional benefit is you end up with a stereo audio file to use. That will translate to a better finished product.

A couple of tips you might find useful...

After you start recording audio and video on separate devices then it will be much easier to align your audio wav file and video if you provide a simple audible and visual reference to work with. The quickest and easiest thing I've found to use is simply a hand clap. In reality you don't even need that as you can see the audio peaks from both devices in your editor. The visual reference does make it a bit easier to align the video and audio.

Second, don't stop everything if you make a mistake. Just keep recording, using a hand clap before each attempt. It's not like the old days of using magnetic tape, so you simply play until you get something you're satisfied with. It's easy to trim your long complete files and discard all the mistakey parts.