View Single Post
Old 03-09-2023, 09:20 AM
AGF Sponsor

Snippet time is my favorite time to share when I can sneak insider pictures for you to see. You get to see pictures here of stuff around the shop that might not matter to some, but others are curious to view. Go ahead. Ask me questions. If Tim sees them he can answer. If I am close by, I can share answers. Though I don't know all the answers, because I'm sure Houdini didn't tell his wife all the good ideas he has, it is Ok for me to do the ole show and tell when I discover there is a new fun item in the McKnight shop. For now, just take a look at these pictures. One of our Ohio friends is making a guitar for a grandson. He spent a few hours this past week here asking Tim questions. Show and tell is a great learning experience. As many of us learned from the childhood Dick and Jane series and the Think and Do books, older experienced luthiers want to be sure this education doesn't get lost. Knowledge is power for those who play and those who build. In my case, knowledge is fun to share since I do not build or play. I'm a great watcher and a happy listener. I'm probably not so good of putting pictures in order.

Cutting string slots in the nut.

Fret wires are pressured into place.

Buffing wheel prep time isn't just time consuming and a little hard on the back. You must remember to use the proper grit and to not be in a hurry to, as Larry the Cable guys would say, "Get 'er done!"

The buffing process takes patience. What can go wrong with a nice buffing wheel? Luthiers smile and get that butterfly in the belly feeling. Hmm... I can tell you the wheel is the master mind if the luthier isn't totally focused. It's a good guess that the wheel has gained an attitude and grabbed a guitar in the past for each luthier who stands in front of that wheel. This is my secret observation for you. Guitars DO NOT make good frisbees! On the other hand, buffing wheels occasionally go deeper than the luthier desires. One teeny weenie scuff can ruin a day. Going to deep in that fractionated spot means going back to the drawing board to start over to be sure the guitar later has a mirror like finish from peg head to end wedge. Note the way Tim stands when buffing the neck compared to the stance of the box being buffed. His grip is tighter and his body is braced to stay more steady. New builders like our local Ohio friend ... take heed.

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

I'll continue "Doin' Life ... As a Luthier's Wife"
McJam = Guitar private event June 21-22, 2024
[email protected]
Pre-sign is required and begins now.