View Single Post
Old 11-22-2022, 07:18 PM

Default Decision??!

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on that 00-12C! It just seems to tick all the boxes for me. I don't need bevels with a 14.5" lower bout and 4" depth, and am unsure how large I could go with a guitar that has those ergonomic appointments, anyway. I am intimately familiar with this size of guitar already.

Did a lot of research, found a great used one in mint condition at what seems like a fairly good price. Although it is only $500 off the new list price, it includes the pickup, a very expensive case upgrade, free shipping and they are footing the sales tax, which at these price points is a significant chunk of change).

https://www.visesnutcase.com/index.p...&product_id=66 is the upgraded case. Wowza.

As a bonus, I could swap out cases between my nylon and steel strings and give whatever guitar needs the better protection at the time. The only downside is no warranty.

A new similarly-spec'd version of the guitar would be an additional 25% not including the case upgrade. I don't really care too much about the case, but if I include that in the calculation it's about a 30% difference in cost, for reference. I could lower the price by not going with the torrefied and just let the playing and time take its course. The soonest it would be available is July 2023, more likely September 2023. So the used guitar seems like a good deal.

I've never had a guitar with a torrefied top before. I'm a bit leary about it (mainly because I wonder how much exposing the young guitar to the vibrations of playing settles the wood in a particular way), but it seems like many high quality builders are singing its praises.

Input still welcome, but I greatly appreciate everyone's helping me think through this situation! I'm really looking forward to getting back to the music production and performance process once the dust has settled from this whole terrible misadventure.

Last edited by ethanay; 11-22-2022 at 07:21 PM. Reason: addendum thank you