View Single Post
Old 10-25-2022, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I have about a dozen acoustic guitars, including 3 Martins ('67 D-35, 2006 000-28VS, and 2018 D-45).

I have never heard a "wolf note" on any of my guitars in my entire life of almost 60 years of very active guitar playing. I'm predominantly a finger picker. I have no idea what people are referring to with this "wolf note" phenomena.

- Glenn
That's really interesting. I wonder if it's a thing of degrees. I've owned a lot of fairly high end guitars from Collings, Santa Cruz, Martin, Taylor and more. It's not often I have found ones without dead(er) notes somewhere. Collings most often, and often the E string G, which is problematic. They're generally not totally dead, but don't ring out like the other notes across the board. More "somewhat muted" than dead.

My D-28A doesn't have any of it anywhere I can find, and that's one of the things that keeps it in my hands. My Clapton has a couple minor ones higher up the fretboard on E and F. Mild. Seems very common to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinder View Post
Square shoulder dreads tend to exhibit it around the low G (third fret on low E string) which can be a real pain for those who want to play Bluegrass runs or country style fingerpicking pieces in the key of G. Slope shoulder dreads often exhibit it around F#, although I’ve had Gibson slopes that have had minor wolf tones at F# and G.
Yes. This.

Last edited by Dirk Hofman; 10-25-2022 at 11:30 AM.