View Single Post
Old 08-21-2022, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
I use these (AC112) on my archtop, the lighter AC111 on my jumbo and can ensure that the plain strings are just that. They're made to metric measurements so their gauge is slightly different from strings made to imperial measurements but you shouldn't notice that in terms of sound. Idem for the brass coating: that'll wear off pretty quickly anyway, exposing a standard tin-plated string.

@AH : you may have better luck with the TI Spectrums which I don't think have a silk-and-steel design and are all round-wound; their wrap wire is phosphor-bronze but apparently a slightly different alloy because yellower (the sound is more like brass-wound strings, too).
I've tried the Plectrums but was a bit underwhelmed, but that could have been on the guitar I tried them on. I've found that all strings with silk in them are a bit quieter, and that does not compliment a quieter guitar- whether GHS, John Pearse, or La Bella (although La Bella were the loudest).

I've been wondering about the Spectrums but your comment above that there is no silk goes against their own packaging, and their packaging does not indicate the plain steel strings are bronze flashed either. I'm just confused?