View Single Post
Old 11-15-2021, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

Just finished “The Forgotten Battle” on Netflix. Quite good I thought, and rather an interesting chapter in WWII. After capturing Antwerpen, the allies essentially ignored the estuary of the Schelde river, which was still occupied by the Germans, rendering Antwerpen useless as a port. Monty had to have his advance into Germany with Market Garden. We all know how that turned out, so then the allies started to clear out the estuary and open up the port of Antwerpen. “The Battle of the Scheldt” is the anglicized name, and was fought by a large international contingent, mostly led by the Canadians.

The backdrop of the film is the battle for Walcheren, at the entrance to the Schelde estuary. As kids my brother and I loved visiting miniature Walchren, a scale replica of the island. It was quite close to my grandparents’ home in Blankenberge and an easy trip. The Canucks also liberated Blankenberge and always had a special place in my Mom’s heart for what they did. She grew up with her town occupied by Nazis. Fun.

Anyway, the film is quite good. Cinematography and acting are excellent.

Last edited by Dirk Hofman; 11-15-2021 at 03:00 PM.