View Single Post
Old 05-21-2021, 09:25 AM
AGF Sponsor

I bought three sets of Schaller Grand Tune tuners (direct from Schaller in Germany) in 2018 for three show guitars I was building. They looked beautiful, but when I installed them on the guitars, a weird rattle happened on all the guitars- three different sized models, with differing scale lengths too- all apparently had a sympathetic resonance with the G string. It was impossible to isolate and fix though, and very annoying.

In addition to that problem, every single tuning machine- all eighteen of them- had a significant amount of "slop" in the worm and gear mechanism. Some had as much as 1/4 of loose turn before the gear engaged the worm. I've had this happen almost every time I've used Waverly tuners at customers' request also. I guess some people consider the backlash and slop to be desirable "vintage" spec or something.

These Grand Tune tuners cost me over $500 for the three sets, and they were utterly useless. They are expensive, defective, useless crap, in my opinion. I will NOT make that mistake again.