View Single Post
Old 08-29-2020, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
So, my stumbling block right now is tempo. I've recorded other albums and years later I think, why did I play this so slow, or why did I play this so fast. Of course there are other "why did" questions, but right now I'm focusing on tempo.
I'm recording with Logic as my DAW, and I know there are ways to slow down or speed up a piece after the fact, but unwanted artifacts enter in.

It's interesting that only a few BPM slower or faster can make a huge difference in how we perceive the finished product.

Any help for getting over this "setting in stone"issue? Thanks.
Good for you for putting the thought into it!

I tend to write a lot of tunes and songs and it does help to have a solid feeling for how your work sounds best before you attempt to record it. My methodology is to play the tune or song enough that you get a chance to play it at different tempos and find what sounds best. I then do a quick n' dirty recording at my preferred tempo. If I'm satisfied I play it back and use the tap tempo on a simple metronome to be able to put an actual BPM number to it. Play the song back at the same time as you trigger the metronome to double-check that the BPM and your recording match. Sometimes you have to adjust your number up or down a bit until the metronome and the recording match.

I do all of this so I can notate the BPM on my lyrics or written notes so I don't have to figure it all out later.

When I sit down to record I set the metronome up and use only the visual indication to set the tempo. If your recording is going to be long you can check your metronome occasionally to make sure you aren't slowing down or speeding up. If your playing is fairly consistent there's no reason you need to lock into an artificially rigid tempo.

I don't use a metronome for normal playing or practice but only as a way to document the BPM tempo. I recently purchased the new Snark Touch metronome which works really well, is easy to see, and has a variety of sounds available. It's also very inexpensive.

AS far as long-term satisfaction with your recording, yes, it's going to seem less than perfect to you over time. If you play a song or tune for a long time you're going to naturally change it up a bit. Re-do it if you later feel you can do a better version.

Last edited by Rudy4; 08-29-2020 at 10:28 PM.