View Single Post
Old 07-25-2020, 07:32 PM

There is a difference. But I would say it is more subtle than a 14 fret, vs. classic 12 fret flattop guitar. Though the difference is in a different area.

To my heavily abused ears, on brass ones, which is where my preference lies, the 14 fretters have less bass, and sound more mid-rangy, which my brain interprets as "nasally". Now Nationals are not super strong in the bass game to begin with. So any loss in that area is not a good thing IMO.

Again, I don't think it's a huge difference. The main reason I don't own a 14 fretter is the aesthetics. I don't think there is a more beautiful guitar on the planet than a single cone 12 fret nationals. Those round shoulders...

As to the limitations of the 12 fret neck, I've been playing the 12 fretters for almost two decades. My thumb just naturally comes off the back of the neck when I need to hit the 15th or 17th fret with a slide.

I also never capo, unless I'm having trouble picking up a song from a recording in A or E, or worse, capoed and in A or E! I never tune up to A or E to protect my cones. Sometimes being 1, 2 or more steps lower than the recording hurts my brain and can't pick up what's going on and can't learn the song. That's the only time I capo.

My honest advice is to go for the look you like more. Opening a case and seeing a guitar YOU find beautiful is always inspiring for me. Either way you go, you'll have a killer guitar. You'll love it.