View Single Post
Old 07-03-2020, 06:23 AM

A bit of background. In high school I was an elite singer in our choir and vocal groups. In college I auditioned and was accepted into the choir but decided it wasn’t in my best interest, in hindsight that was probably a bad decision. I’m 65 now but still able to sing pretty well a cappella and with songs on the radio. I do practice singing songs sans guitar playing. What is so difficult is to sing anywhere near my ability while playing.
I think there’s some great advice here. Practice is one I likely need to do more of. I’ve been hyper focused on learning guitar skills and songs and thought I’d just be able to sing up to my ability when I learned a song on guitar but I’m finding out this is a whole different skill set, doing both at once.
One piece of advice that seems worth trying is to prioritize vocals and use the guitar as accompaniment seems like a different mind set and might help but I do want to play well.
This forum is such a wealth of information and inspiration for me and thank you all for your advice and opinions.

Last edited by jschmitz54; 07-03-2020 at 06:41 AM.