View Single Post
Old 12-07-2019, 09:39 AM

I played for some time with a guy with a first generation Blues Jr. around the turn of the century. He never thought it sounded "Fendery" enough for him and I steered him to a Princeton.

I've had a first generation Super Champ XD combo since shortly after they were introduced. I liked it for low volume work, but it wouldn't keep up volume wise with a rock drummer and stay clean enough trying (and failing) to reach that level of volume. Different speakers have been said to help this issue, and of course there's a head version of the current Super Champ.

But I'm recording more and not even tracking live as much now. I've started using it as my early 60s Princeton is in need of service. I think it sounds really nice when it's not asked to provide volume as well as desired timbre. Though I believe the new version offers some computer based "deeper editing" the Super Champ is easy to operate with just the simple knobs, and I don't use any of the effects in deep or complex ways.

One nice thing is that there are several good sounds it in. I've been using the "Vox" patch lately, and even though it doesn't sound particularly Vox'ey to me it sounds good for crunch. I've never needed to put a gain pedal before it to get some grind/crunch/breakup which it does fairly well as well doing a good Champ-like sound which can be clean at low volumes.

The Blues Jr is louder, and it has gone through at least four generations to the current one which I think has incorporated some of the "Bill M mods" that were considered the hot trick back around the turn of the century with the early ones. So you should try and see. I've never used the amps Steve DeRosa has often recommended here, but Steve's advice has been solid on other things, and I'd consider them as an option.

ADD ON:
I just noted that you have the Super Champ already but want a "Smoother bluesy sound" like a Deluxe Reverb. This may be the same issue I had, that you can't get loud or clean and loud as a Deluxe Reverb with it. It that it? Are you playing in a band context?

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

Last edited by FrankHudson; 12-07-2019 at 09:52 AM.