View Single Post
Old 10-06-2019, 07:46 AM

Nothing very insightful or unexpected in the original link. I think the main reason many prefer the music that they listened to in their teens and 20's is the association with our youth. Most of us had our most impactful friendships and experiences during those decades. How many of us have best friends now like we did when we were 14? You only get one first date, first concert, first time leaving home, first cigarette, first drink, etc. And we had a soundtrack to accompany those experiences.

Then we get older, and we celebrate more firsts, but these are the responsible firsts of adulthood (first real job, first marriage, first child, first home on your own) as opposed to those carefree firsts of earlier life. We don't have meaningful memories attached to the music that comes out once we're in our 30's.

Its also been established that our brains (especially males) don't fully develop until our mid to late 20's. It could be that the not-completely-developed brain responds to music differently than the developed brain.

In my personal experience, I'm really tired of most of the music that was popular when I was in my teens. I've heard enough Eagles, Led Zeppelin, Lynyrd Skynyrd, AC/DC etc. to last the rest of my life. I don't care for most of the new commercial radio fare either. But there is a wealth of great new music being made now if you are willing to look just a little. My tastes now run to Americana/newgrass/stringband groups like Fruition, Elephant Revival, Milkdrive, Jeffrey Martin, Greensky Bluegrass and many more.