View Single Post
Old 09-08-2019, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

I had the same guitar for a while. I was OK with the sound of the pickups but found them really noisy. I replaced them with a set of Vintage Vibe soapbars, which were about $200 for the set. They were also RWRP and much better shielded than the original Fenders, so they were pretty quiet and sounded better as well. Pete Bitloff, who makes them, builds them with whichever magnet you want and includes a second set of magnets with them, which are easy to switch out. I bought them with Alnico 2 and later switched to the Alnico 5 he included, which gave them a bit more bite when over-driven.

I liked the guitar, it played well and sounded good, but it still didn't have quite as much bite and growl as I'm used to with P90s. I actually had it and an Epiphone ES339 with P90s for a while. While the difference between them wasn't that much, I kept the Epi and sold the Tele because my other two electrics are a Strat and tele and I wanted something a bit different for my P90 guitar. Honestly, I could have kept either and been happy with it - I could really only hear a minor difference when I A-B'd the two of them and I may have been fooling myself there too. I don't have that much experience with P90s, but I liked both the Vintage Vibe and stock Epi P90s more than the stock pickups in that Tele thinline deluxe.