View Single Post
Old 05-04-2019, 06:33 AM

(Hope it's okay to resurrect this thread as I haven't seen much on the SPJC-16 RE.)

I've been gigging one for a few years now - it's been a workhorse for me. I'm a fan of Martin jumbos because they seem a bit more balanced than dreads, and that's definitely the case with mine. Great sustain, sounds very rich when unplugged. Comfortable to play - more like a 0000 than a "jumbo".

It has the pickup control mounted on the side which isn't for everyone, but I love it for making quick adjustments onstage. Volume, mic-piezo blend, three-band EQ, phase, even a tuner - all in easy reach. Fishman system that works well. It's perfect for weekend performers and open-mic'ers because you can get a good sound quickly despite whatever you're plugged into.

It has some higher-ed appointments that are subtle but nice. 40-something style rosette and back stripe, snowflake fret markers, gold foil logo.

The only reason I don't keep playing mine is the neck - a 1 3/4", soft V shape that my hand doesn't like as much, especially after a couple of sets. Despite that, I used it for two years because it was such a great playing and sounding guitar. It's only because I found another similar model with a slimmer neck that I'm thinking about selling this one, but I'm still on the fence because I'm not likely to find another.