View Single Post
Old 03-25-2019, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Thanks AC. I appreciate that Gotoh Minis can be had in black but without the locking feature. I may seriously consider changing out the stock tuners (also just discovered that the G tuner on mine is broken during a string change).

These OF660s are charming little guitars with so many boxes checked for my tastes.

Another question though, am I seeing 2 different buttons on those Gotohs?
Yes, the picture showing the back of the headstock shows the button shape I preferred, round with a flat side, but I had a single defective button and so switched to the all oval buttons you see in the first photo.

They are ebony and not expensive (except for the shipping--robbery). They were from LMI (Luthiers Mercantile Int). The ebony is drilled out and a plastic or nylon insert is pressed into that with a hole that matches the Gotoh peg shape. But the insides of one of these buttons was a bit loose from the start and eventually, wouldn't grip the peg at all.

I tried all sorts of "clever" ways to make it function . . .tiny strips copper inserts, etc., all worked somewhat, but didn't feel right.

I didn't opt to try to get the bad button replaced for various reasons and because I had an older set of oval ebony buttons waiting for me in my drawer. So I just put those back on and I'm happy enough. They look almost the same.

BTW, all of the remaining ebony buttons have been fine and I expect them to remain fine. On 1:21 ratio, you really don't put that much pressure on the buttons to turn them.

BTW, the overall look of the OF660, to my eyes, is transformed with the Gotoh and ebony combination. It just makes the entire guitar suddenly look balanced rather than a guitar with an ultra tiny pin head. And there are no issues fitting in the travel case.

I don't know if these were Gotoh "minis" or just normal Gotoh--but they fit. Here is exactly what I got from the invoice:
SGL510Z H.A.P.M - L5 - B - L3+R3
As I said earlier, I would not opt for the adjustable post height, which is represented by one of the letters/numbers in the Gotoh code.

Someone once put together a partial list of the meaning for each part of the Gotoh code here:
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...92&postcount=7

Last thing, I ordered my Gotoh from Scott Ando in Blaine Washington and it was a smooth purchase. ([email protected])
But I'm not sure he's in business anymore. There hasn't been a reference to him on the forum for many years.

Last edited by ac; 03-25-2019 at 02:20 AM.