View Single Post
Old 03-22-2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deft Tungsman View Post
Ed Claxton has never been this week’s poster child for hand-built acoustics. Despite a distinguished career of excellence in the craft, he keeps a laid-back, low-key profile, even in this age of the all-knowing Internet.
I think Ed is a bit like Ralph Bown in this respect. Low profile, Old Skool, hushed tones amongst the cognoscenti. Definitely NOT this month's AGF hype, hot off the conveyor belt, Ervins Somogyi's latest apprentice etc.

I've played loads of hype guitars. Some are good but a ton are "meh". Rarely IMHO do they come anywhere near justifying the price of entry (which goes North rapidly once they become this month's flavour, often contingent on excessive dealer hype).

Someone like Ed has years and years of solid experience under his belt. That's priceless. Difficult to hype - he's been around forever. His experience shows in his guitars, both build quality and sonically.

One other thing I've noticed - irrespective of the back and sides, top, size etc. all of the Claxtons I've played have had a very profound sonic signature - my mahogany guitar just doesn't sound like a "typical" Adirondack hog to me, nor does your Walnut from my recollection. They all sound as if they are made from the finest German tops and BRW back and sides. Uncanny. That's what makes him so consistent IMHO.

Cheers,
Steve