Thread: swapping PU's
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2019, 06:44 PM

With semi hollow and hollow bodied guitars, it can be more complicated to swap pickups. A traditional Gibson or Epiphone like the ES-335 or -339 requires unbolting and pulling the whole wiring harness out of the body to reach where the pickups are soldered to the control pots. I've learned a few tricks over the last few years to do it more efficiently, but it's still one of my least favorites to do. That extra labor also makes it about the most expensive wiring work if a pro does it.

If you know you want to swap pickups in that style of Epiphone, I'd recommend changing out EVERYTHING while you have it apart. If you're the type to swap just the pickups then wonder whether the pots and capacitors could also benefit, and then the budget pickup selector switch and jack start acting up, labor could eat you alive having that same work done 3 or 4 times. And then you hear about modern vs vintage wiring on a forum, and off you go down the rabbithole.

That reminds me, I need to clean the control pots on my ES-335 this winter.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird