View Single Post
Old 11-24-2018, 02:09 AM

The poor man's pinless bridge:

Idea borrowed from another AGF member some time ago. Searched and found aluminum washers small enough to not interfere with Journey K&K type sound board pickups on my OF660.

The other AGF member has a small business and sells guitar related things. He created and sold a system that centered around using aluminum washers. He found they worked the best of all the various materials he tested. His business continues, but this item was abandoned over time due to lack of demand, so I had to hunt down the washers myself. Finding a source of aluminum washers took a bit of a search. Couldn't find them locally anywhere.

Yes, it's nowhere near as nice or convenient as a real pinless bridge, but I'm liking it for now.

There may be, on some guitars with a different bridge design, a way of modifying the bridge itself to become a true pinless. I don't know for sure. It's nothing I would dare try unless I read how someone else had done it successfully first, and even then . . . maybe I wouldn't take the risk with my low level dremel skills.

This works for me and is a cheap and harmless experiment. I'll decide over time if I'll continue with it or not.

Certainly no loss in sound quality that I can tell--and I think to my ears, it has even improved the sound--or it's improved my imagination at least.